Pages

Saturday, December 10, 2011

No honey, three balls do not go on one stick

So we FINALLY got around to picking up our Christmas tree, out of necessity really.  I hear for most this is a joyous occasion.  The fam gets together to drink hot chocolate, watch Christmas movies and decorate the tree together.  How did this year's Christmas tree decorating go down at the Savell's?  Glad you asked!

Last night we went to pick out our tree.  Wait, let me back up.  Earlier that day I had my company Christmas party.  Actually won a half day off in the raffle drawing but ended up trading it for a bottle of Baileys (good trade if you ask me).  Decorating the tree and sipping on my prize sounded like the perfect evening.

I got off early and headed over to Hobby Lobby to replenish my dwindling ornament collection.  Guess I got a late start on that, too.  Not much to choose from, unless you wanted to decorate your tree in Texas A&M crap or spend $130 bucks on a wreath.  No thanks!   I did end up grabbing a few things and headed home.

I was so excited to tell my husband about the prize I won!  Whoa did that backfire.  HE ended up with the Tervis tumbler of Baileys on the rocks and I had to drive to pick up the Christmas tree.  In all fairness he did ask first.  In our house, when it comes to roadies you snooze you lose!  Oh well.

Off to get the tree!  It only took us 15 minutes to pick out the perfect one.  AND, We only had to take one potty break - in a outhouse without toilet paper, hand soap or paper towels.  Nice.  Now the dread sinks in.  Now that the girls are a little older, they want to help decorate the Christmas tree.  Damn.


So we get home and pull out all of the Christmas boxes.  In a matter of seconds, the girls have holiday crap in the living room, their room, down the hallway... "mommy, I need batteries"... "mommy, I want to put the balls on the tree" ... "No, I want to put the balls on the tree."  MAKE IT STOP!  I managed to stay calm, though.  And without Bailey's, mind you!

I decided that I would let them put a few things on the tree, just to see how they did.  See Exhibit A.

Exhibit A

"No honey, three balls do not go on one stick."
"Dear, you can't have five red balls in one area."
"Babe, just put that homemade snowman ornament the size of a billboard on the backside of the tree so when we are in the backyard, we can see it through the window."

Grrrr..

I maintained my cool, though.  I just went behind them and rearranged practically everything and we ended up with a beautiful tree.  See Exhibit B.  Next year, I think I'll get the girls their own tree to decorate.  Yeah, that sounds good!

Exhibit B (Damn, it's leaning to the right!)

So how did it go down in the Savell's house?

The fam got together to drink Baileys on the rocks (hubby) and Diet DP (me), watch Christmas movies (Hubby watched the Hangover 2 while me and the girls did the tree) and decorate the tree, together (well, sort of).  Sometimes different is good. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment